Our goal is to raise £40,000 by the end of 2019.
Since Sanctuary in Chichester launched in January 2016, we’ve achieved a lot.
Thanks to the £30,000 we’ve already received from our generous supporters we’ve been able to make a real difference to the lives of refugees and asylum seekers in West Sussex. Our activities include supporting Syrian refugee families and providing twice-weekly drop in sessions, English language tuition, emergency accommodation and financial support.
Now we’ve launched a campaign to raise £40,000 so we can do much more. With this funding we want to:
• Create more drop-in facilities
• Help other Syrian families arrive and settle in West Sussex
• Extend our language learning service
• Offer more friendship-building and mentoring opportunities, potentially using sport as a focus
• Provide shelter to destitute asylum-seekers, sometimes at short notice
• Increase awareness of, and access to, our services
• Boost understanding among local residents of the issues that refugees and asylum seekers face.
Our fundraising appeal has got off to a great start, collecting £5,000 (10% of our £40,000 target) since the late November 2017 launch.
We’ve got a pipeline of future events and activities lined up to support the appeal.
On March 23, at 7.30pm, we’re hosting a performance of The Bundle at Chichester’s St Paul’s Church. This powerful drama follows one woman’s fight to gain asylum in the UK, and has been toured nationwide by the Journeymen Theatre Company. Come along! You can order tickets here. (£5 or £2 for students).
A creative supporter had designed the following graphic to help us track our progress. As we get nearer to our £40,000 target, the golden balls kicked by ‘Chich’ the footballer will get will nearer to the net. We chose a football scene, rather than the traditional fundraising thermometer, to mark successful milestones due to many of the young refugees we support being avid football fans – and to mark the birth of our very own team, Nations United.
How you can help:
• You can attend one of our fundraising events. Please keep an eye on our website and social media for details.
• You can hold your own fundraising event on our behalf, whether it’s a coffee morning or a sponsored bike ride. We’ve listed some of our ideas for fundraising here but would love to hear yours, and to help you with fundraising information and materials.
• You can join our friendly fundraising group, which meets every month in Chichester and is doing great things.
• Share our fundraising leaflet with friends and family or help us hand them out in public.
• Donate. No amount is too small (or large!)
– £15 could pay for an English language textbook.
– £25 could cover the monthly cost of broadband internet so a refugee family is able to contact loved ones.
– £100 would provide a destitute asylum seeker with meals for a month.
Visit our Donations page to find out more about giving.
• Share our campaign on social media.
For more information about fundraising for Sanctuary in Chichester please contact firstname.lastname@example.org